I started working on this mainly because I needed decor for my room, but it could easily feed into my main work. I first wanted to replace the ugly glass ceiling light shade that makes a horrible vibrating noise every time my housemate upstairs moves around, but that ended up being a bit of a disaster. It wasn’t till I started doodling that I came up with some potential workable designs.
Led on to me making this
I still need to finish the watercolour work on the white tissue surface.
Since then I’ve been trying to figure out what to do next. I had a go at drawing it out in painter and seeing how other colours might look.
and then [played around with more designs ideas.
I also wanted to try and make a bunch of samples using tissue I put through my home printer by taping it to a regular sheet of paper. When you add the pva water mix to it the image runs but if you are extremely careful you can keep it mostly preserved
And here is the little model I tried it out on. each surface had an increasingly clearer image as I got used to preventing the wet ink from running.
I knew I was going to try a few more of these in the future so I played around with designs which might incorporate a number of these tetrahedrons into another lamp.
The last design reminded me a bit of an xbox controller and made me think of potentially making an abstract wall piece based on video game controllers. A kind of impractical monstrosity that might work as a piece of art in a gallery space.